Hey Sacramento Homeowners here is some tips before you go on your vacay!
As families plan for summer activities and vacation, there are many things to keep in mind in addition to planning the vacation destination. Making sure the home is secure when gone is very important. Burglars seem to know when families are gone. Recently there have been break-ins when family members are home. It is important to take precautions to keep your home safe and secure whether you’re gone for a short time or an extended vacation.
Before leaving on vacation:
* Inform your neighbors of how long you will be gone. Let them know if you have a house sitter or ask them to keep an eye on your home.
* Leave your vacation address and phone number with a neighbor and/or family member so you can be reached in case of emergency, or if you have
monitored security system update your emergency contact information.
* Stop your newspaper and mail or have someone pick it up.
* Make arrangements to have the lawn mowed. Have someone water flowers and take the garden produce.
* Make your house appear lived in, install z-wave light switch to your security system and configure your schedules through Alarm.com app!
* Lock all doors and windows. Check out z-wave Door locks.
* Close and lock garage door. If you leave a car at home, park it as you normally would. Vehicles parked outside should be moved occasionally to appear they are being used. If cars are left outside, do not leave valuables items in the car.
* Don’t announce your absence on an answering machine message; leave your normal message on the machine.
* Posting photos of your vacation on social media like Facebook or Tweeter is not a good idea when you are gone. Wait until you get home to do that.
* Never leave a key hidden outside your home. Burglars seem to know all the good hiding places.
* Leave the blinds, shades and curtains in the normal position. Don’t close them unless it’s what you do when you are home.
* To make the house appear lived in, put lights on timers and set them to go on at different times. A radio can also be set to come on for voices at certain times.
* If you have a security system on your house be sure it is working and on.
Before you leave, look around your home and see if there anything that would make your home an easy target for burglars.
Don’t leave anything around the home or yard that will be a drawing card for crime.
Be safe and enjoy your vacation!